Sunday, October 18, 2009

Homemade Pumpkin Puree

Have you heard about the canned pumpkin shortage this year?! I LOVE to bake with pumpkin in the fall! Neither Aldi nor Value Center have had canned pumpkin...SO I decided it was a great time to try my hand at making my own pumpkin puree. Thanks goes to Kristi for the inspiration from her post Grandmas Pumpkin Pie dessert.
Just like she said, it really was very simple. Cut a pie pumpkin in half, remove the stem and scoop out the seeds. Place the pumpkin face down on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for about and hour or when the pumpkin seems "squishy".
The skin pretty much peeled right off the pumpkin.
To puree I mashed with a potato masher and then blended with my mixer a little. You can also use your blender or food processor.
The process took me back to last fall when I was making Hannah butternut & acorn squash baby food....I know she would have loved pumpkin too..this would make great baby food!
The only thing that I will do differently next time is bake more pumpkins! I want to make lots of puree and put some in the freezer for more holiday baking...yum!

2 comments:

Courtney (Women Living Well) said...

Oh wow! Look at you using REAL pumpkin! I have never done that before!! Thanks for sharing your photos - I really should give this a try! Thanks!

trenda610 said...

Awesome! So perhaps we can get together & do a huge batch, I have a great food processor (used for making baby food a few years ago:) and I use pumpkin ALOT.