Last weekend, I headed to Ohio with Mommy to visit family and so that Mommy & Nana could throw a baby shower for Aunt Beth. I loved getting to see Pop, Nana, & Uncle J. On Friday morning, I was playing in the kitchen with Mommy and Pop. In the midst of my play, I got distracted...I found some lamp oil, and it changed the course of our weekend just a little. Before Mommy could get to me, I drank some of the oil (thankfully it wasn't very much...maybe less than a half an ounce). Nana called poison control and they said that I would be fine as long as I didn't throw up...and they told Nana to give me lots of fluids. After lots of coughing and crying, Mommy decided that we better go see the dr. at the emergency room. (Pop drove our red car pretty fast!) At the ER the dr. listened to my lungs, and got me hooked up to the monitor to watch my oxygen levels. The big concern was that I didn't get any oil in my lungs. They didn't want me to throw up, because that causes the oil to go down into the lungs. They took an x-ray too. Pop went in with me and held my hands up while the took a picture of my lungs. I didn't like this part very much, but did a good job for the doctor. After what seemed like a long wait for Mommy, the xray came back negative. The dr. said that he thought one of my lungs looked a little hazy though. After the doctor explained everything, he asked mommy if she had any questions. She asked a few medical questions, but then asked if she should have Daddy come down from Michigan (he had stayed home for the weekend). The doctor said that if it was his little girl, he would come. Daddy came to see me, and I'm so glad that he did!
Mommy and I left the ER in an ambulance...both of our first times riding in one (and hopefully the last!). We went to Akron Childrens Hospital, and Pop & Nana followed in our red car. By the time we got there, I was doing much better. We saw some doctors, and just sat and watched tv. I took another nap, then woke up and had a small snack. Shortly after that...Daddy arrived! I stayed the night there so that they could watch my oxygen levels. I was uncomfortable at times...the IV in my hand was pretty annoying!
Well...like I mentioned earlier..the reason for our trip was to celebrate my new cousins soon arrival. The baby shower was suppose to be Friday night...what was Mommy going to do?! By the evening, Daddy had arrived and I was doing better. The doctors and nurses said that it should be fine for her to leave for a few hours. So hesitantly she left, and was glad that I was sleeping. Uncle Tim came to the hospital to hang out with Daddy and I...so that was nice! When I woke up, I was uncomfortable again. Uncle Tim bought me a teddy bear which made me feel MUCH better! Every time the nurses came and squeezed my leg (took my blood pressure) I squeezed my bear. Mommy and Daddy both stayed with me in the hospital that night. None of us slept very well...but that's okay. We were glad when the dr. told us everything looked good and that we could go home in the morning!
Saturday afternoon I took a long nap at Aunt Beth's house. When I woke up form my nap, I had a fever. Mom & Aunt Beth gave me Tylenol and a bath...that helped a lot.
I know that God was watching over me that day. Many prayers were lifted up for me (thank you to those of you who prayed!). I could have drank a lot more of that oil than I did, and I could have thrown up, and I didn't. We thank God that he watched over me and give Him all the glory!


3 comments:
Oh, Becky!! What a scary weekend! :( I'm glad to hear that Hannah's ok and that Seth was able to come. NOT FUN!!
I've had to call poison control when Luke drank hand sanitizer, but it was much less dramatic than your experience!
Hugs!!!
It was crazy...and very scary. It seems much too early in her life to have her "scary experience story"...hope there won't be any more. So thankful that God answered our prayers and took good care of her.
We serve such a big and wonderful God. Yeah Jesus!!! Now to get her ear infection all cleared up...we love you guys!
Post a Comment