Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Works for Me Wednesday- Gift Giving Ideas

Heart Beat Bear
I loved making these adorable bears for my mom and mother in law the Christmas that we were expecting Hannah. I went to Build a Bear and made a bear for each of them. I purchased a record your own voice box, but didn't sew it in. I brought it home, and recorded Hannah's heart beat on it. (I had her heartbeat on our ultrasound video, but you can also take the box to a doctors visit to record) I sewed the box into the bears chest, and then the Grandmas could hear her heart beat any time. Now as Hannah grows and goes to visit Grandma..she can hear her "heartbeat bear".

Fleece Blanket
Our first Christmas, we had a budget of $5 for our gift for each other...yes that's right $5. I was student teaching, and Seth was working shipping and receiving, so things were tight. It sure was fun to be creative. I found some fleece on sale at Joanns and went to work on a blanket for Seth. I used felt and puffy paint to decorate and put glued the decals on with fabric glue. A simple blanket stitch around the edges tied it all together.


A gift that Hannah LOVES is her fleece tie blanket. Her friend, Fiona, made it for her last Valentines Day. Simply put two pieces of fleece together, cut tabs around the edges, and knot. (For complete instructions go here)This is a great gift because the colors and designs can be changed to match the taste of the person recieving your gift. This has become Hannah's favorite blankie and goes everywhere with us!


For more gift giving ideas head over to We Are That Family.

1 comment:

Joshua + Katie said...

Becky! I love these ideas! Josh and I will be in a similar boat for our first Christmas because I'll be student teaching and he'll be working at Apple (at least as of now that's the plan). You will definitely have to give me your insight on finishing up school and starting marriage!